Helpful Hints for Couples
Here at Arthur Murray Dance Centers we specialize in teaching couples to dance. Teaching couples is different from teaching individuals and requires special care.
Teachers are trained to make learning fun and easy, and you can help by remembering the following:
- Let your teacher do the teaching. This means avoid finding fault with each other which can be distracting.
- It’s not how many steps you know; it’s how you execute them. (You always notice good dancers by how they move, not by how many patterns they do.) Learning too many steps too soon results in bad habits and frustration at not executing them properly.
- In teaching couples, we have learned that men typically progress slower because they have more to do and tend to be more analytical or mechanical. Women, on the other hand, feel movement quicker and therefore, THE LADY MUST TRY TO BE PATIENT AND NOT EXPECT TOO MUCH TOO SOON.
- It’s important to keep your lessons close together, and more importantly to use them in close conjunction with group lessons and practice lessons. Ideally, each visit should be scheduled to include more than one activity. This will aid you in making speedy progress and gaining confidence in your dancing in a shorter period of time.
- Communicate with your teacher so that he or she will know what to teach you and the way you like to be taught. The more we know about your dance needs the better we can plan your lessons now and prepare your future program.
In less than two months we stepped into Arthur Murray’s Dance Studio. Who would have thought that I would be doing the cha cha cha in Burlington Mass at the Marriott Ballroom, I have never performed in front of so many people, actually never performed at all. We really want to Thank Ephraim for choreographing and instructing the Dance, Victoria, Amanda and Rodrigo on technique and instructing my daughter and I. You are all truly Professional, Passionate and Knowledgeable. Also, your class management is very productive and you keep us involved in learning and having fun every time we have a lesson again “Thank you “ Cannot wait for the next lesson.
Also Thank-you to my husband too.�Kristy Dollarhide
Love it! Learning Ballroom dancing! Great instructors! They know how to dance and teach and do so with enthusiasm! It is well worth the price. Efraim (my instructor) you are the best!Victoria True
Wife and I are having a great time learning ballroom dance. The instructors are all great and make it fun.Ed Kotkowski
I never thought in just three months I would be able to hold my own on the dance floor. The instructors are great teachers, patient and not demanding. A 45 minute lesson feels like 5 minutes. I would recommend this studio to everyone, young and not so young!Ellen P. Dozet
We were so nervous going in for our first lesson. The professional staff put us at ease right away. They made it fun and easy, even my boyfriend had fun. We always look forward to our lessons and we are really glad we became a part of this studio!Linda Parente
Love this place! Amanda and Efraim are so nice and give great lessons! We have learned so much and are really enjoying ourselves!Dale Moulton